The Washington Story
Booker T. Washington
Booker T. Washington High School, named for the famous educator, and built because there was no secondary education available to Blacks in the city of Atlanta, began operation in 1924.
In 1925, the only exact replica of the Booker T. Washington Monument at Tuskegee, Alabama was erected at the school’s entrance.
Several additions have been made top the original building which is situated on a 21.4-acre tract of land. In 1942, north and south wings were added; and several years later, a cafeteria and gymnatorium with locker room facilities and showers for athletic teams. In recent years, 1967, a technical building that houses more than a dozen laboratories, and a Teaching Theater with a well lighted and well equipped stage and a large group instructional area underneath, have been added.